I have suddenly been inspired to start eating healthy. (This after polishing off a half a bag of Cheese Doodles, yuk yuk.) I was reading Cami Walker’s blog and she is going on a major health/yoga kick right now to sort out some personal issues. She shared this recipe and so am I. It sounds good to me, although I have no idea what wheat berries are. So I’ll probably stroll on down to Whole Foods this Saturday to buy the ingredients.
WHEAT BERRY CONGEE
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 3-5 cups water — start with 3 and slowly add more as needed as it evaporates
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 5 nickel-sized chunks of ginger
- small handful of dried cranberries
- small handful blueberries
- 5 strawberries
- Put everything in a pot.
- Bring to boil, stirring regularly for 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low simmer and cover pot for 1-2 hours, or until wheat berries are soft.
- Stir regularly.
- It’s yummy hot, but is also good cold with rice milk.